Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quality Control and *freebie*

Taking a break from studying...

I was checking out some quality control policies at different online digiscraps shops and I came across the Digiscrap warehouse and Enchanted Studio Scraps. I told myself if I wanted to make scrap designing an all time hobby for myself, my images have to be perky perfect. So I decided to experiment with some scanned doodles..

First experiment

First step: I drew my doodle on a piece of white paper and scanned it onto the computer. After opening the file on PS, I cropped the doodle to its size.



Second step: I selected and deleted the unwanted pixels (the white paper). So that I'm left with just my doodle. I put a black colour overlay and rasterized the layer.



Third step: Now the quality check begins. To make sure there are no holes in my doodle or tiny pixels that shouldn't be there, I gave my doodle a 10px red stroke. That will reveal all the flaws of the image so I can correct them. This is done at 200%

Forth step: The edge of the doodle is checked that they are smooth and not jagged. This is done at 100%. But I'm still having difficulty with this step.

As you can see the results aren't as smooth as I want it to be. Realize that there are edges sticking out and aren't properly joined together. Thus a second experiment is conducted. [ No, it aint like a science experiment :) ]

This time I drew each part of my doodle without lifting my marker pen. This way, I won't get any loose ends.



After getting rid of the unneeded pixels, I realized that there are still loose ends in my doodle where a part of the picture is connected to another part, in this case, where the wings are attached to the heart. Time to conduct a third experiment.



In my third attempt, I drew each part of my doodle separately and connect them together in many layers when editing so it is easier for me to colour my doodles.

Finally this third experiment doesn't give me loose ends. Alhamdulillah :) Here are the results of my experiments, there is still so much room for improvement, feel free to download for your use ^_^



My Experiment Doodles by aYan

**Do let me know if anyone knows better methods to make doodles look smooth on the computer.

Goodnight everyone!

Photobucket

8 comments:

melliel said...

Thanks for sharing. These are cool!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the DigiFree category today [27 Jun 12:22pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Anonymous said...

Love the shape of the wings, thanks for sharing!

Lori said...

Thank you for freebies. Link on your post was added to Lori's freebie list

Amanda said...

HI Ayap! (Hope I got the name right!) You did a great job on a difficult task! There are some really great programs out there that do this easily, but they are mega expensive!. One tip is when you have the doodle the way you like it, but still want it smoother- apply a Gaussian Blur. I start with .05 and work my way up to 1.5 if necessary. Usually .05 once or twice does it! :) Thank you and best to you!
Amanda CircleOfLifeScraps.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love your doodles thanx for sharing them .
much love xx Mary

aYan said...

Thanks 4 the comments everyone ^_^

to Amanda: Its ayan btw..hehe.. Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind for my next project.

Laura said...

Thanks Bunches