Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My Top 5 Favourite Bag Tutorials

Salam everyone. Yes, I'm officially home for Eidulfitr holiday. I dont have very long, just a week, but I do have so much I want to complete in a week. I received an emergency book cover order from a friend recently plus my younger sister needs a skirt for a fancy dinner. I'll be off to the textile store again with her soon to pick out fabrics.

Anyways, lately I've been exploring the Internet for some really great sewing patterns and tutorials for bags. (I'm gonna have to search for skirts soon..) I've a whole list I'd like to try making in the future. These are among my favourites that I found that I really really really wanna sew !! :DD

1. The Everything Bag by Blue Bird Baby. I love this tutorial, the instructions are very clear and easy to understand. The photographs are fairly detailed. But, of course the bag itself is something I probably need to take to classes. Definitely big enough to put in books.

2. The Messenger Bag by Obsessive Crafting Disorder. Also another clear and understandable tutorial. I like the look of the bag. As of right now, I'm not the handbag type of girl, I like either a good sling or wristlet clutch to use for a day out. Of course wristlets are more of a formal thing. This bag is perfect for a walk in the park.

3. The City Backpack by Heart of Mary. What I love about this bag is the fact that it's a drawstring backpack. I've searched forever and there is only one other free drawstring backpack tutorial on the Internet that looks almost similar to this one, which I'm sure all DIY bag lovers know exactly the tutorial I'm referring to :) In case you don't know, the one written by the super awesome bag maker, Lisa Lam, the author of The Bag Making Bible and A Bag For All Reasons. Though I prefer this pattern because the base of the bag is much wider that its flap. So you get a kind of chubby look to it. (That's how I'd put it into words!)

4. The Conversation Bag by Sew Sweetness. This bag was made using quilted fabrics and it looks lovely, but not the reason why I like it. Although its a simple rectangular bag, I think the way the zip was sewn is unique, how it curves almost half way around the edge and how it is sewn hidden. This may also be a great bag to make for taking to class.

5. The Wallet-to-tote On The Go by Ikat Bag. I think everybody needs at least one of these in their pocket. Fold-away totes have already been trending for quite a while in the shops in Malaysia, however you rarely find fold-away totes that are zipped. Usually, the ones you find in the shops are buttoned and has no function when they are folded. But this one doubles as a zippered pouch. An awesome emergency tote to have with you all the time.



So there, that's the first 5 bags I want to make in my to-sew list. Hopefully, when this semester is over, I'll have all the time I need for pleasure sewing.

xoxo

**Quick note - Yes, I promised a free template in my previous post. That will be up tomorrow ! :)

Photobucket

No comments: