Monday, August 13, 2012

Photo technique - Clever Borders/Edges

Assalamualaikum and happy monday!

I'm currently in the middle of my mid-semester exams, but today, I get a day off since I've no papers today! Awesome~ I decided I wanted to do some scrapping on my monday off, so I went through my albums in Cameron Highlands and I noticed a photo technique I frequently use when I want to add a little embellishment to my photos without actually searching through my scrap stash.

This is a photo I submitted to scrapbookbytes forum a couple of years ago for a photo challenge. The challenge was to to take a photo that framed a subject, as the one below where me and my cousins are sitting on a wedding bed framed with flowers. Do click to see the pics bigger.


The technique I'd like to share today is almost similar to the photo above, but instead of letting the frame dominate all the edges of your photo, make the frame only take up a little part of it. The idea came from my two sisters who are way better at taking pictures than I am. All the photos below were snapped on our many holidays to Cameron Highlands since my dad loves it there so much. :)

This is an example of a clever floral border-ing by my elder sister.


And another one by younger sister.


Simple but uniquely enhancing! Lets go step-by step on how its done.

1. First of all, pick the subject of your photo. It doesn't have to be a posed photo, it doesn't even have to be a person. However, its best to go with a diverse surrounding so that you'll have a selection of borders or edges to choose from. On my most recent trip to Cameron Highlands, my mom was doing some holiday paper-marking at the patio of the beautiful Osmaniah Home, so I decided to use her as the subject of my photo.


2. Pick your border or edge. Look around the surrounding of the subject. As my photo is outside I chose plants and flowers as my edge.

3. Snap your photo with the border/edge in front of the subject, not the other way around. Otherwise, the technique is less effective. The trick to this technique is to focus a slight more on the border/edge and let the subject be the background.


Take many snaps at different angles and switch to different borders, or edges until you get a photo you're really happy with. You can make the border/edge take up as much of your photo or as little of your photo as you want.


You don't have to let the border/edge come from only one side of your photo, you can also make it come slightly from the bottom and a bit from the top.


That's a little bit of what I know that I can share. I'm not the slightest bit close to a professional photographer, nor do I have a sophisticated digital camera to take pictures with. So I like using simple techniques like this for my photos.

And, of course, with sequence photos comes a great scrap page. Yayy! :DD


This scrap page was made using the scrapkit Serenity by Just So Scrappy. The template is my own that I created for sequence photos. If you stick around long enough, you'll catch the template freebie some time later this week ! :DD

** In case anybody is wondering about the font I used to label my photos, its Pork Chop by Miss Tiina. :)

Last of all, to all Muslims, there is only a few days of Ramadhan left, use it well. Spend some time for Allah and He will spend time for you :)

Wassalam.
xoxo

Photobucket

No comments: